Funding for essentials items and specialist support
The Fashion & Textile Children’s Trust (FTCT) has grants available – ranging from £750 upwards– to support the needs of children and young people aged 0-18years. To apply, the parent of the full-time carer must work or have recently worked (within the last nine years) in any aspect of the UK fashion or textile industry – including supermarkets, clothes shops, factories and offices of businesses selling products ranging from clothing, footwear, soft furnishings and fabric.
What funding is available?
No two families are the same, so each application is reviewed on a case by case basis. But to get you started, here is a list of items FTCT can typically fund:
Joanne, is 12 years old and is cared for by her maternal grandparents, Anne and David after her parent’s marriage broke down and her mother suffered a nervous breakdown. Joanne has significant speech and language problems which has affected her learning throughout childhood, causing her to become increasingly anxious and disengaged in school.
Joanne’s mother previously worked in fashion retail, so Anne and David were able to apply for an FTCT grant towards specialist speech and language lessons for Joanne.
“Joanne is thriving, gaining self-esteem and confidence as well as increased focus and language skills. She has even gained the confidence to make friends and now takes part in school activities.” David, Joanne’s Grandfather.
*Names have been changed to protect identities
Who can apply?
To apply for an FTCT grant you must:
- Be the full-time carer of a child (aged 0-18years)
- AND work or have recently worked (within the last 9 years) in the UK fashion and textile industry* for at least one year.
So if you are a full-time carer, you can apply as long as you can provide the following:
- A recent payslip/P45 to show proof of employment
- A P60 or letter from your employer to show length of employment (must be at least one year)
- Along with photocopies of a Child Benefit letter or proof of payment into your account.Parental trade connection can also be used, provided the same employment proof documents can be provided.
Applications for amounts above £750 will also require the following supporting information:
- Documents showing your child’s additional need: At least one letter from a Social worker / GP / Teacher / Psychologist etc. Reports from NHS / OT / School
- Either photocopies of additional benefit proof (if applicable) including, Tax Credits, Disability Living Allowance, Housing Benefit, etc or evidence of basic household spending.
How to apply?
FTCT have a small and dedicated team, who can guide you through the application process. No two applications are the same, so the grant amount can be tailored to suit your needs.
STEP 1: Give FTCT’S friendly team a call on 0300 123 9002 or fill in their online enquiry form to explain your situation and detail what you would like funding for.
Call the Grandparents Plus advice team for further information on 0300 123 7015.