Advice and Information Factsheets for Kinship Carers

Advice and Information factsheets for grandparents and family members bringing up a child who is not their own and legal guardians of a child.

If you thinking about taking on the care of a relative’s or friend’s child in the future and need information and advice on welfare benefits or what other support is available to you, call our confidential advice line on 0300 123 7015.  Lines are open Monday to Friday 10am – 3pm or you can email us at or complete the enquiry form here.


  • Thinking of giving up work or reducing your hours?
    Grandparents or other family members stepping in to bring up a child often feel they have to give up work or reduce their hours. This factsheet is intended to help you explore the options available to you, and some of the benefits you may be entitled to claim if you do stop working or reduce your hours.



  • Special Guardianship or Child Arrangements Order?
    This factsheet has kindly been written  for Grandparents Plus by Family Law Barristers at 4 Brick Court Chambers.  It explains the main features of Special Guardianship Orders and Child Arrangements Order and the procedures for applying for a Special Guardianship Order.



  • Benefits for people bringing up a relative’s or friend’s child
    Are you a grandparent raising your grandchild, or a friend or relative bringing up a child who is not your own? If so, you are likely to be entitled to certain benefits. This factsheet includes information on Child Benefit, Child Tax Credit, Guardian’s Allowance and Other sources of financial help.



  • Benefits for families on a low income
    If you’re living on a low income, you may be able to get help with your living costs, your rent and your Council Tax. You may also be entitled to help with other costs and one-off expenses. This factsheet includes information on the following benefits: Income Support, Pension Credit, Jobseeker’s Allowance,  Working Tax Credit, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Universal Credit and other help if you are living on a low income.




Making a complaint web

  • Making a complaint about Children’s Services
    This factsheet explains how to make a complaint to a local authority Children’s Services department and what you can do if you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint.