Kinship Connected is our tried and tested support service for all kinship carers, including Special Guardians. The service is run in collaboration with local authorities and aims to inform, support and empower kinship carers to provide stable homes and achieve positive outcomes for children. The service is an updated and bespoke version of the Big Lottery funded Relative Experience programme previously run by Grandparents Plus in partnership with Family Lives.
The service components include:
- One-to-one support from Grandparents Plus Project Workers
- Peer-to-peer support group development
- Workshop training for kinship carers
- Consultancy service on kinship care policy and support
- Resources for professionals such as our Kinship Care Guide
Outcomes from implementing the Kinship Connected service include:
- Reduced isolation: kinship carers are supported to meet people in the same situation, share experiences and seek advice and support from peers
- Decreased financial concerns: kinship cares are supported to access financial support they are entitled to including welfare benefits and emergency grants
- Lower levels of concern: especially around managing children’s behaviour and supporting their health and wellbeing
- Improved relationships: particularly with other family members
- Increased confidence: kinship carers feel more able to cope with their role and responsibilities
To enquire about commissioning Kinship Connected for your own local authority, contact Kate O’Brien at email@example.com or call 020 8981 8001.
Alternatively, for more detail you can request a Kinship Connected Information Pack.
To view impact and testimonials from Relative Experience in the North East you can: