When a child comes to live with you, one of the first things you may have to think about is their education.  This may mean finding a nursery or school, or supporting them to continue their education in their current school.

Early years education
All 3 and 4 year olds in England are entitled to 15 hours a week of free early education and childcare for 38 weeks of the year. This can be provided by nurseries, childminders, playgroups, pre-schools and children’s centres. Since September 2017, some 3 and 4 year olds are eligible for 30 hours a week of free early education and childcare. Find more information about this here.

Some two year olds also qualify for free early education and childcare. This applies if you are in receipt of certain benefits or the child is ‘looked after’ by the local authority or has left care under a Special Guardianship Order, Residence Order or Child Arrangements Order. Further information on eligibility criteria can be found here.

Good quality early years education is proven to support children’s development. For more information about free nursery education in your area, click here or contact your local council.

Finding a school
Contact your local council for a list of schools in your area.  You can also find details of local schools by going to the gov.uk website.  Get as much information as you can about schools which are near you so you can think about which school might suit your child. You may want to visit the school and read its prospectus and most recent Ofsted report. In reality there may not be much choice available if local schools are already full.  If you are not offered a place at your preferred school you have a right of appeal.

Children who are looked after by children’s services, children who have been adopted from care and children who have left care under a Special Guardianship Order, Residence Order or Child Arrangements Order must be given priority in schools’ admissions criteria. If this applies in your case make sure you mention it in your application.

Disability and special needs
A high proportion of children living in kinship care have a disability, additional needs or specific learning difficulties.  All schools have a duty to adapt the curriculum to meet the needs of individual children. If your child learns more slowly or in a different way to other children, the school can set different work or try different teaching strategies.

If you are concerned about your child’s progress or you think they may have special educational needs (SEN) contact the SEN coordinator (SENCO) in your child’s school. Schools and colleges must do as much as they can to provide extra support for their pupils/students with SEN.

If you live in England and your child has more complex needs, they may be eligible for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan. This sets out your child’s needs and how they should be met. You may be able to get a personal budget for your child, if they’re eligible for an EHC plan. This will give you more say on how money is spent on your child’s needs.  Find more information here.

You can find information here about the support of children with SEN in Wales.

Contact  is a national advice service which covers all aspects of raising a disabled child, including education for children with additional needs.

Difficulties at school
If a child you are bringing up is experiencing problems at school, for example difficulty in making friends, or if you suspect they are being bullied, you should bring this to the attention of the school. Most schools take bullying seriously and will have policies for tackling the problem.  They may also be able to provide counselling or mentoring for the child.  You may also want to disclose to the school what has happened in the child’s family that may be affecting them.

ACE Education has information on its website about what to do if your child is being bullied and you feel the school is not taking the problem seriously. ACE also provides information on other education-related issues including admissions and appeals, attendance and exclusions.

You can find details of other organisations which provide advice and support in relation to bullying here.

Pupil Premium Plus
The Pupil Premium is additional money given to schools in England to raise the attainment of eligible pupils. Schools qualify for this funding for every child who is in receipt of free school meals.  Schools are also given additional money for ‘looked after children’, children who have been adopted from care and children who have left care under a Special Guardianship Order, Residence Order or Child Arrangements Order. This is called the Pupil Premium Plus.

Pupil Premium Plus funding reflects the fact that these children are likely to have experienced loss and trauma which can have a lasting impact. Schools have a vital role to play in providing support to raise their attainment and address their wider needs. The funding is not ring-fenced and is not for individual children, but schools must publish details of how they are using the money and the impact that it is having on pupil achievement. Schools must also have a designated teacher who is responsible for promoting the educational achievement of looked after children and previously looked after children.

If your child is eligible for the Pupil Premium Plus you should inform the school, as they may not be aware of the child’s status. Eligibility needs to be recorded in the January school census for the school to receive funding in the following financial year - For further information please see information from PAC or visit Achievement for All

Virtual School Head
All local authorities must have a Virtual School Head whose role is to raise the attainment and ensure progression of all 'looked after children'. the Virtual School Head's role also includes providing information and advice to schools, parents and guardians in respect of previously looked after children.

Learning together
You may well find yourself having to help your child with homework. There are many websites that are able to help you by providing information and examples for all subjects and levels. Try BBC Bitesize for resources to support both primary and secondary curricula.

Financial support for further education 
The 16-19 bursary fund provides help for education-related costs to 16 to 19 year olds who are  in further education or training in England. 

Under this scheme, some vulnerable students are eligible to receive a bursary of £1,200 a year. This group includes  those who are disabled and on certain benefits, young people in care and care leavers. Find further information here.

Other students facing financial difficulties may be awarded a bursary at the discretion of their school, college or training provider, who will set out details of how the scheme will operate locally.

Students living in Wales may be eligible for an Education Maintenance Allowance instead of the 16-19 bursary.

Financial support for higher education
A student applying for financial support to attend university in England is assessed on the basis of their parents’ household income even if they don’t live with them, unless they are classed as an independent student. A parent is defined as a natural or adoptive parent, so it doesn’t include any other type of carer.

The young person is treated as ‘independent’ and financially assessed on their own income where:
• they are estranged from their parents, or
• their parents have both died, or
• they were looked after by children’s services for 3 months ending on or after their 16th birthday.

The ‘independent student’ category is decided on a case by case basis, depending on the particular circumstances of that family.

Further information about student finance can be found here.

Care leavers going into higher education are entitled to specific financial support, including a £2,000 bursary. Find more information about financial support for care leavers here.

A young person who has been under a Special Guardianship Order but was previously looked after by the local authority has a right to advice and assistance from children’s services to make their own arrangements when moving into independent living. This can include financial support. 

If you would like to get some advice on education, you may want to contact one of the organisations below.  Alternatively, please contact our  confidential advice service.


Useful Organisations

ACE Education Advice
Advice Line: 0300 0115 142  Monday-Wednesday 10am – 1pm term time only
Website: www.ace-ed.org.uk

ACE provides a comprehensive range of advice and information on education issues. Advice and information covers state-funded education in England only.

Bullying UK
Helpline: 0808 800 2222
Website: www.bullying.co.uk

Bullying UK (part of Family Lives) gives advice and support to pupils, parents and teachers on ways of dealing with bullying at school.

Helpline: 0808 808 3555 Monday – Friday 9.30am – 5pm
Email: [email protected]
Website: www.cafamily.org.uk

Contact is the only UK-wide charity providing advice, information and support to the parents of all disabled children.  Additionally, Contact operates a national advice service for special educational needs (SEN).

Coram Children’s Legal Centre – Child Law Advice Service 
Education Law Advice line: 0300 330 5485 Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm
Website: www.childlawadvice.org.uk

The website provides information and advice on education law in England. The information ranges from the law on bullying, transport and home education to school admissions, exclusions and duties to children with special educational needs. The helpline is for advice on more complex matters and clarifying questions.

Education Otherwise
Website: www.educationotherwise.org

Education Otherwise gives support and information to families whose children are being educated out of school or who are considering home-based education. There are local groups, individual contacts and information leaflets.

Family Lives 
Helpline: 0808 800 2222  Monday to Friday 9am – 9pm, Weekends 10am – 3pm
Website: www.familylives.org.uk

Family Lives offers advice and support on all aspects of family life including children’s education. It also runs courses for parents and produces books and leaflets.

Independent Parental Special Education Advice (IPSEA)
Website: www.ipsea.org.uk

IPSEA is a national charity providing free legally based advice to families who have children with special educational needs. You can book an appointment with the advice line by going onto the website.

Information Advice and Support Services Network
The IASS  Network offers information, advice and support for parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs.

You can ask for details of your local service from your child’s school or local authority. You can also find details about their services, and contact details for your local service here.    

Education Advice Line 0207 284 5879 Weds and Thurs 10am-12pm                                              Email:  [email protected] 
Website: www.pac-uk.org

A service for parents, carers, school staff and social workers. Provides advice and support relating to any school or educational concerns regarding adopted or special guardianship children. 

Website: www.place2be.org.uk

Place2Be is an integrated school-based service, offering swift access to counselling and other services. Place2Be supports pupils with emotional and behavioural problems who often miss out on receiving adequate help from statutory services.

Red Balloon
Telephone: 01223 366052
Website: www.redballoonlearner.co.uk

The aim of Red Balloon is the recovery of bullied children. It provides an ‘intensive care’ full-time education for children who are unable to go to school because they have been severely bullied or who have suffered trauma.

Young Minds
Parents Helpline: 0808 802 5544 Monday-Friday 9.30am – 4pm
Website: www.youngminds.org.uk

Young Minds Parents Helpline provides a service for any adult worried about the emotional problems, behaviour or mental health of a child or young person.