It's common for grandparents to step in to help when their son or daughter is a single parent. It can be difficult for you to say no, especially if they're on a low income and rely on you so they can work and make ends meet.  However, there are some ways for them to get some help with childcare costs.

If the child is 3 or 4 years old, they may be entitled to up to 30 hours of free early education a week.  Some 2-year-olds are also entitled to free early education. For more information see the website.

If the parent is working, they may also be eligible for help through tax credits, Universal Credit, childcare vouchers or tax-free childcare. Help is only available for 'approved childcare' such as nurseries or childminders. Find more information about help with childcare costs on the Childcare Choices website or visit the Gingerbread website for advice and support for single parents.