We are able to offer bespoke workshops on relevant issues, such as attachment, life story work and contact, as well as focus groups, upon request.
Introduction workshop: considering the impact of custodial sentences on kinship families
This workshop is designed to increase attendees awareness of the distinct needs of kinship families. The workshop content is tailored to the specific needs of the establishment and participants attending the course.
By the end of the workshop staff will have gained:
- Increased knowledge of kinship care
- Increased awareness on the legal status and relevant legal orders
- Understanding the needs of kinship families and the additional impact of a custodial sentence
- Increased responsiveness of how to support and provide guidance to kinship carers along with preparing for release of the young person
- Increased confidence about working with kinship families
- 2.5 hours
- Group of up to 12 participants
- Delivered by an experienced Grandparents Plus Worker
1. Legal information
- What is kinship care?
- What are the various legal orders?
- How does parental responsibility vary according to legal order?
2. Understanding and responding to the distinct needs of kinship families
3. Understanding and supporting kinship families impacted by a custodial sentence and practical tools to support a relationship based approach.
- What support can kinship families expect from the local authority?
- What support can kinship families expect from Grandparents Plus and other providers?
- Where can prison-based staff access support?
- What can prison-based staff consider as best practice when working with kinship families?
To find out more please contact firstname.lastname@example.org