Location: Home Based
How I will be contributing?
We support kinship families who often find themselves in difficult situations, emotionally, practically and financially.
Someone Like Me is a referral service for kinship carers who wish to receive additional support on a one to one basis. This service allows kinship carers to speak to other kinship carers who have similar experiences to them and who are able to empathise with their situation. Referrals are made by the kinship carer themselves or can be made on their behalf.
As a volunteer, you will contact kinship carers who have requested a call back from the Someone Like Me service. This is not an advice service; any requests for advice are to be referred back to the Grandparents Plus Advice Line.
This role is carried out remotely from your own home at a time that suits you. You will need access to a phone and the internet from your own home as referral details will be sent to you via email. Login details will be provided for all phone calls made, so there will be no cost to yourself.
What will I be doing?
- Calling kinship carers who have requested contact from another kinship carer
- Providing emotional and moral support through supportive listening and empathy
- Referring any callers needing advice back to the Grandparents Plus Advice Line, other Grandparents Plus services or other charities who can help
- Emailing notes from the call back to the Volunteer Development Manager
- Working within the boundaries of the charity’s confidentiality and data protection policies
We are looking for
- Current or previous experience of being a kinship carer
- Empathetic and friendly telephone manner
- Able to build a rapport with people and put them at ease
- Able to communicate clearly over the phone and in writing
- Basic IT skills
What support will I receive?
- Induction, training and ongoing support
- Support and Supervision from the Volunteer Development Manager
- Reimbursement for reasonable out of pocket expenses (on production of a receipt)
- Membership to our Kinship Care network with opportunities to attend events and special kinship care events
I would like to help
Please complete our volunteer registration form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org