Location: Local community
Commitment: Monthly group meetings
How I will be contributing?
We support kinship families who often find themselves in difficult situations, emotionally, practically and financially
You will play a vital role in enabling kinship carers in your local area to receive friendship, support and encouragement from each other, helping them deal with the difficulties and challenges kinship carers face, such as feelings of isolation and lack of information around support.
As a Support Group Leader, you will be responsible for setting up a local support group. You will take a lead on the safe and effective running, administration and facilitation of the group. With support and training in the beginning from Grandparents Plus, the long term aim is for the group to run independently with its own established committee.
What will I be doing?
- Promote the group and recruit members
- Oversee the smooth running of the group, working with other volunteers
- Run group meetings to ensure all members feel accepted and valued
- Encourage members to be active and participate in group meetings and other volunteer opportunities.
We are looking for
- Experience as a Kinship Care Champion
- Someone who is passionate about kinship care and supporting other kinship carers
- Able to facilitate meetings
- Able to support and motivate others
- Comfortable with the use of social media channels, such as WhatsApp
- An understanding of the need for confidentiality, boundaries and data protection
What support will I receive?
- Induction, training and ongoing support
- Support and supervision from the Volunteer Development Manager
- Reimbursement for reasonable out of pocket expenses (with a valid receipt)
- Regular contact with the Volunteer Development Manager
- Membership to our Kinship Care Community with opportunities to attend kinship care events (if applicable)
I would like to help
Please complete our volunteer registration form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org